Here is a wonderful way to add some variety to your summer breakfast menu. I have attempted to make sweet potato toast in the past and was not satisfied with my recipe. My mom is an incredible cook. I was home to visit last weekend and I had her add to my recipe. The end result was sensational so I just had to share with you. Mom does it again! The secret was using a real oven and not a toaster oven.
HOW TO PREPARE
1. Wash two medium size sweet potatoes.
2. Pre-heat oven to 400F.
3. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Cook each potato in microwave for one minute to soften for slicing.
5. Use a sharp knife to cut each potato into 1/4″ slices.
6. Lightly brush both sides with extra virgin olive oil (may also use coconut oil) Place on parchment paper. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Bake for 12 minutes, flip slices over and bake for another 12 minutes. Your slices may start to brown slightly. Be careful not to overcook or your toast will be mushy. If uncertain, use a fork to test. The fork will easily pierce the potato toast when ready.
8. Remove from oven and add toppings while warm. Serve and enjoy!
Your topping choices are endless. Experiment with different tastes and combinations such as avocado, egg, nut butters, dates, or fresh fruits.
Mom chose a light spread of real butter, brown sugar and pecans. Absolutely delicious!
My toppings of choice were a light smear of cream cheese with fresh sliced strawberries. This would be a great choice for lunches at school or work since it was also wonderful served cold.
Final Tip. Make extra sliced potato toast to keep in the fridge. Reheat with a toaster or toaster oven. Feel free to share your favorite toppings and toast photos! I love hearing how your recipes turn out.
This recipe will definitely be featured in my next portion control challenge on May 15. Make sure to RSVP if you plan to participate. Enjoy!